Thursday, August 18, 2011

Boom!!

That pretty much sums up Spirit West Coast this year. In the best way possible of course. :)
It would take ages for me to write about what happened this year, so to sum everything up, I'm going to give you:

THE TOP TEN HIGHLIGHTS OF SWC 2011

10. Dedication Service
Every Tuesday night we have a dedication service to recognize who we are doing all this for. It's a great time for us to come together after working for so long and just worship. This year I was asked to lead worship with a friend of mine who I've known since year one. It was a short and simple set, and it was great. After the music a few people who have been around for every festival gave their testimonies and how they cam eto work with SWC. It was a fun night. :)

9. Run Ins with The Afters and Newsboys
I always have some sort of ridiculous encounter with an artist or two, and this year was no different. The first night the Newsboys were playing. Every year they go out to eat at a seafood restaurant. So why would they get dinner from me? They wouldn't. Except I had the pasta that night.
THE pasta
So obviously, Michael Tait came to get a little bit of pasta. But of course Jeff Frankenstein (the keyboardist) starts telling Michael to NOT eat the pasta. It's bad for you. I poisoned it.
What the heck??
So after Michael leaves, Jeff is still teasing me and I'm thinking, "Is this for real? Please Lord, let him be joking..."
He was very convincing.
And I'm THAT gullible.
A few minutes later he came over to me and told me, "You know I'm joking!" and we pounded fists.
So that was that.
The Afters and I had a random run in a few years ago. Just ask Andrea. It involves onions.
This year, the band came up to me during dinner and asks, "What IS tri tip?"
...I have no stinkin' clue!
I laugh and say, "That is a GREAT question!...cow?"
They then proceed to make fun of me for serving something that I don't know what it is, so I tease them for not knowing either!
Why do I always have these run ins with artists? :)

8. Tent Time
I shared a tent with a total of three people: Annie, Jessica, and Andrea. Andrea only stayed for one night, and in the course of that night I came in while she was sleeping already and proceeded to fall asleep on TOP of her (sorry A!) and Annie stayed with me one night and then went to her comfortable cot (I totally don't blame her), and Jessica stayed with me for four nights. And it was fun with each and every one of these girls.
I also tented next to two boys that I got a chance to get to know. They came with Kurt, and it was Kurt who came up to me during dinner to tell me I was sleeping next to the boys. He told me how great they are, what they're like, and a few random things about them, then he tells me that they are 16 and 17.
.....HA!
He then asked me how old I am, and when he hears, "22" he says, "Oh. The older woman." Well never mind!"
The boys were great, and it was fun making new friends. :)

7. Relationship Advice
This is Spirit West Coast. There is bound to be some kind of drama. Every year Chris always gives me great advice and keeps my head on straight. This year I had not only Chris giving me relationship advice, but I had Neil giving me his opinion as well.
Basically, I love them. I think they are amazing.
The End.

6. Psych
Has anyone seen the TV show Psych? If you haven't, then you should. It's quite excellent. And you'll have no idea what I'm talking about for the rest of this.
At SWC I have 3 great guy friends, and I've realized we have a lot in common with the four leads from Psych.
Shawn: This is so clearly and obviously Chris. Hands down. They have the same sense of humor. They're both quick, ridiculous, but they can get serious when the time calls for it.
Gus: Neil. Cause Neil is black. Actually he's not, but I'd believe it if he told me that. But Neil and Chris are really close, and they have the same sense of humor and can go back and forth just like the characters.
Lassiter: Jason. For reals. Jason would like everything and everyone to go by the book, and sometimes it's easier for him to just do a job by himself. But he's also loveable. Who doesn't love Lassiter? And who doesn't love Jason? :)
Juliet: That's me! I automatically get her because...well, she's the only female. BUT, Jason and I are really close...close like partners. Eh? Get it? See what I did there? Juliet is smart, gentle, but gets her ish done when needed, and has a great relationship with each of the guys.
Oh, but the whole thing between Juliet and Shawn...that's non-existant. We do not speak of this.

I love my boys. :)

5. Pride and Prejudice
If anyone knows me, you know that Pride and Prejudice is by far my favorite movie.
This year we decided to have a movie night at Chris' house, and while we called to check that it was ok, we found out his wife Aimee was just starting it! (Side Note: It was the new shorter one. Not as good, but still. Better than nothing!) So we hurried over and watched the movie and the boys got to shower which everyone was thankful for. :)
It was nice being in a house and not freezing out butts off.
It was also hilarious to watch Chris and Aimee quote the entire movie. :)

4. Car Ride With Chris
Wednesday night I went with the boys to Jason's house for dinner and to pick up Jessica to go on a date with her! :) So Chris and I drove my car and it was a great chance to just talk and hang out. I only get to see these people for a week or so once a year, so I cherish every minute I get to hang out with them.
My favorite part of the car ride?
There was a NATURAL pause in the conversation, and Chris goes, "Is this an awkward pause??"
...."Well NOW it is!!"
Chris, c'mon. LOL

3. Talk with Jason
Jason is a really good friend, and this year we got to hang out and talk for four hours one night.
We hadn't talked since the end of May so there was a lot to catch up on.
We needed this talk. It had been too long and it was nice to reconnect.
Love you Jason! In the most non-awkward way possible. ...ok, that's probably not true but you know what I mean. :)

2. Saturday Night
One of my favorite things of the festival is staying up Saturday night to cook a fourth meal for the IT, Electrical, and Construction guys. And by "cook" I mean "reheat".
After the last concert the guys start tearing down and around 2am they break and go to the kitchen for food.
And at 2 in the morning when they see a pretty woman with tri tip, (THE) pasta, mashed potatoes, rolls, brownies, and lemon pound cake...they love me. :)
These boys are my favorite. And I love that I can do something so simple and easy for them, and it means a lot to them.

1. The Cross
Apparently at least five years ago we built a life-size cross and set it up on the hill.
Well, I have never seen it. I didn't even know where it is. God put it on my heart to see it this year, and after the worship service Sunday morning (the day I was leaving) Jason took me to go see the cross.
It was amazing. I really needed it, and I really needed it then. I was upset and emotional because it was the last day and I had to go home and immediately go into wedding mode, so it was good to remember why I came and who I did everything for.


It was a great year, and I can't wait to go back and do it all over again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment