Monday, May 28, 2012

Music


Music has always had a big impact on me. From a young age I LOVED music. My mom tells me how I used to sit in the grocery carts singing “Jesus Loves Me” at the top of my lungs. Now, at 23 years of age I walk around the grocery store singing along to myself and occasionally dancing down the aisles…
Not much has changed.

Music does a lot to me. Music moves me. It makes me feel, it brings back memories, it makes me think, it inspires me, it just does something inside of me that nothing else does. That’s why I wanted to make a career with it, and why I wanted to study it. Why does music do this to us? How does it do this to every person, but affect each person differently?

The four (/five) years I’ve spent at APU I’ve learned a lot about music. I’ve analyzed it, written it, studied it, memorized it, and sung it. A lot of it. Not long after I started studying music at APU I found myself listening to music less and less. As a high schooler I would listen to it all the time. Now I rarely have music on just in the background. If music is on in the background, I have to listen to it. Pay attention. Study it. Analyze it.
It’s a curse of being a music major.

I was never able to have music on in the background largely due to the fact that I was always be doing homework. More specifically, music homework; and it is really hard to write/read/study music periods, pieces, or composers while listening to music.
Trust me. I tried.
Now, I’m done with all my music requirements! I’m free! Now all I have left are Intro to Lit and College Algebra. And guess what! I can listen to music while doing this homework.
Unfortunately I have a LOT of music to catch up on. I don’t think there is enough time in the world to listen to everything that I want to…
Wish me luck. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment